- Fastest way to build for the cloud
- Provision and deploy fast
- Secure platform that scales automatically
- Support Many platforms, such as Orchard CMS, WordPress, available right from the Azure Marketplace.
Link Your Domain to Azure Web App
Have you created your own Azure Web App using App Service? If not, you may learn to create one CMS site within minutes by finding out here today!
If you have created your site using App Service, wonder how to customize the way of accessing your site? Why people can use the domain (eg. www.pinsland.com) that they have purchased?
You will need to login to https://portal.azure.com with your Azure account.
(Don’t have one yet? No worries, click here to learn how to create one. It comes with some products that are now free for 12 month)
- Search for the existing web app that you want to configure.
If you don’t have one yet, learn how to create one App Service.
- Many people would ask, why should I create site using App Services rather than hosting on Virtual Machines?
App Service provides lots of benefits, such as:
- Choose the App that you want to configure with your domain name.
- At the searchbar, type “Custom Domains” and choose from the list.
- Click “Add hostname” to configure your domain.
By default, there is a domain name ends with azurewebsites.net that has been assigned to your App. But, you don’t have to worry about it.
- Type in your domain and click “Validate”.
- You would notice there’s a warning message about CNAME.
For security reason, it is asking you to add a CNAME record to your domain’s DNS management in order to prove that you are the owner of the entered domain.
- Head to your domain management portal and Create a CNAME record, www as Host, your Azure’s App Service hostname as value and leave TTL as default.
For my example, I use Godaddy, a well-known domain agent.
- Once you have created the CNAME, click Save and wait for couple of minutes to get your DNS to be propagated through the internet.
- Click “Validate” again. The warning should disappear and a Green Tick should appear!
- Now, you may hit “Add Hostname” button to add your domain.
- Wait for a couple of seconds for Azure to process your request before it is finally link up to your App.
- Finally, you can type in your domain on browser to access your App and print it on your business card!
* Sometimes, the propagation of Domain will take minutes to hours.
If can’t access right after your request is being processed, take a break and coffee/tea before trying again.
Need an offline copy? Click here to download.